We are the UK Government’s independent adviser on sustainable development. Through advocacy, advice and
appraisal, we help put sustainable development at the heart of Government policy
I will if you will - Towards sustainable consumption
|Food, Sustainable Consumption & Production
|SDC Reports & Papers
|I_Will_If_You_Will.pdf - 1383 KB
|If everyone in the world consumed at the average rate we do in the UK, we would require three planets' worth of resources. Globally we are already ‘living beyond our means’ to the tune of around 20%, despite the fact that a significant proportion of the world receive significantly less than their fair share.
The Sustainable Consumption Roundtable, a joint initiative between the National Consumer Council and the SDC, sought to address these problems with its report I will if you will. The report, published in 2006, found that consumers are ready and willing to take action to reduce their resource consumption, but clear leadership and support is needed from central Government and business for them to do so.
|We recommended that Government should:
• Be bolder about driving markets
• Reward households for sustainable practices
• Introduce carbon offsetting for flights on an 'opt out' basis
• Make central government buildings and transport carbon neutral by 2012
• Commit to an ongoing programme of constructive engagement with the public